Burrowing Owl Festival
Wildlife and Environmental Exposition
Date: February 29, 2020
Time: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Where: Rotary Park in Cape Coral
Address: 5505 Rose Garden Road, Cape Coral, FL
Map and Directions: Click here for map and directions
Admission: A $5.00 donation is suggested, children under 12 are Free
Cape Coral, Florida is home to Florida's largest population of the Burrowing Owl. This whimsical bird has been established as the official City bird, and is one of the city's natural resource treasures.Habitat destruction and natural predators have impacted these birds and Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission has given them the status of "threatened". They are protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Act and also locally with a city ordinance.
Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife (CCFW) has been looking after these birds for nearly a score and began holding the Burrowing Owl Festival to raise money to increase public awareness and for maintenance of their burrows.
The festival, in its 18th year, is growing larger every year, with thousands attending the one day event.
- Live wildlife animals
- 30+ Wildlife and Environmental Exhibitors
- Lectures about the Burrowing Owl and other nature orientated topics
- Free Nature hikes to observe the varied habitats and wildlife at Rotary Park
- Guided bus tours to observe the Burrowing Owl habitats
- We will have dozens of local artists showing and selling nature related arts and crafts.
- Various guest speakers will be on hand to give informative talks on various wildlife and environmental topics.
- Free Tours of our Interactive Butterfly Pavilion.
- Starter burrow demonstrations in the hopes of attracting a Burrowing Owl to your lawn.
- Silent auction: supports our non profit when you buy a gift.
Looking for something for the kids to do? Bring them all out to the festival. The Kids Arts and Crafts Corner has lots of hands on activities for the kids.
Be sure and stay for lunch. Several food vendors will be on site to serve you up some great tasting food.
All proceeds go towards the preservation and protection of our wildlife resources. Our sister 501-3c is the Cape Coral Wildlife Trust which is in the process of looking to buy land inhabited by burrowing owls or gopher tortoises. Lot donations preferred. Please call 239-980-2593 for questions.